Written in an accessible style, Advertising Creative has become a key resource on the most recent trends of strategy, concepts, design, and integration of media and technology.
The Third Edition gets right to the point of advertising by stressing key principles, illustrating them, and then providing practical information students and working professionals can use. Drawing on their own personal experience as award-winning experts in the creative advertising field, Tom Altstiel and Jean Grow offer a unique blend of real world and academic perspectives as they examine relevant and cutting-edge topics, including global, social media, business-to-business, in-house, and small agency advertising. Indeed, this hands-on textbook takes you well beyond traditional media topics, offering engaging examples and case histories on hot issues such as digital technology and tools, diversity, and an ever-expanding global marketplace.
1. Copy, Design, and Creativity: The Nature of Our Business
2. Strategy and Branding: Putting a Face on a Product
3. Legal and Ethical Issues: Doing the Right Thing
4. Issues: The Times They Are A-Changin'
5. International Advertising: It's a Global Marketplace
6. Concepting: What's the Big Idea?
7. Design: Worth a Thousand Words
8. Campaigns: Synergy and Integration
9. Headlines and Taglines: First Get Their Attention
10. Body Copy: Writing for Readers
11. Print: Writing for Reading
12. Radio and Television: Interruptions that Sell
13. Digital: Second Screen, Third Screen, and Beyond
14. Social Marketing: Creating Communities That Buy
15. Direct Response Marketing: Hitting the Bullseye
16. Beyond Media: Everybody Out of the Box
17. Business-to-Business: Selling Along the Supply Chain
18. Survival Guide: Landing Your First Job and Thriving
Tom Altstiel (M.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) is owner/partner of Prom Krog Altstiel, Inc., an integrated marketing communications service provider (responsible for creative strategy and tactics, including copywriting, video and broadcast production, Web development, interactive programs, client service and new business development). In addition, since 1999, Altstiel has taught part-time at Marquette University, including such courses as Copywriting, Advanced Copywriting, and Campaigns (with emphasis on AAF competition). He has won more than 185 local, regional and national creative awards and serves on several judging panels for national award competitions. In 2003, Altstiel received the Dean's Award for Outstanding Part Time Faculty for the College of Communication at Marquette University.
Jean Grow (Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison; M.A., University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point; B.F.A., The School of the Art Institute of Chicago) is an Associate Professor of Advertising at Marquette University. Grow has received a number of teaching awards including third place in AEJMC's 2002 Promising Professors Competition. She has worked with such clients as Coca-Cola, USA, Kellogg USA, and Kimberly-Clark. She is former Director of Marketing for Apple Studios and heads her own advertising consulting finn, Grow Creative Resources. Her articles have appeared in the following journals: Women's Studies in Communication; Qualitative Health Research; Journal of Consumer Marketing; Journal of Business Ethics; Journal of Communication Inquiry; and Journal of Advertising Education.