Entrepreneurship, by Robert Hisrich, Michael Peters and Dean Shepherd has been designed to clearly instruct students on the process of formulating, planning, and implementing a new venture. Students are exposed to detailed descriptions of ‘how to’ embark on a new venture in a logical manner. Comprehensive cases at the end of the text have been hand-picked by the authors to go hand-in-hand with chapter concepts.
The superb author team of Hisrich, Peters, and Shepherd draw from their distinct backgrounds to create a book that addresses the dynamics of today’s entrepreneurial challenges. From Bob Hisrich’s expertise in global entrepreneurship to Mike Peter’s background as a both a real-life entrepreneur and academic to Dean Shepherd’s current research on cognition and entrepreneurial mindset, this book balances the crucial line between modern theory and practice.
Part I: The Entrepreneurial Perspective
1. Entrepreneurship and the Entrepreneurial Mind-Set
2. Entrepreneurial Intentions and Corporate Entrepreneurship
3. Entrepreneurial Strategy: Generating and Exploiting New Entries
Part II: From Idea to Opportunity
4. Creativity and the Business Idea
5. Identifying and Analyzing Domestic and International Opportunities
6. Intellectual Property and Other Legal Issues for the Entrepreneur
Part III: From the Opportunity to the Business Plan
7. The Business Plan: Creating and Starting the Venture
8. The Marketing Plan
9. The Organizational Plan
10. The Financial Plan
Part IV: From the Business Plan to Funding the Venture
11. Sources of Capital
12. Informal Risk Capital, Venture Capital, and Going Public
Part V: From Funding the Venture to Launching, Growing and Ending the New Venture
13. Strategies for Growth and Managing the Implication of Growth
14. Accessing Resources for Growth from External Sources
15. Succession Planning and Strategies for Harvesting and Ending the Venture
Part VI: Cases
Case 1. Turner Test Prep Co.
Case 2. Jim Boothe, Inventor
Case 3. A. Monroe Lock and Security Systems
Case 4. Beijing Sammies
Case 5. Intelligent Leisure Solutions
Case 6. The Beach Carrier
Case 7. Gourmet To Go
Case 8A. Intervela D.O.O. Koper?Victory Sailmakers, Part A
Case 8B. Intervela Victory Sailmakers, Part B
Case 9. The Gril-Kleen Corporation
Case 10. Masi Technology
Case 11. Neomed Technologies
Case 12. Mayu LLC
Case 13. Nature Bros. Ltd.
Case 14. Amy’s Bread
Case 15. Supply Dynamics
Case 16. Datavantage Corporation
Case 17. Tire Valet: A Mobile Tire Company
Robert D. Hisrich is the Garvin Professor of Global Entrepreneurship and Director of the Walker Center for Global Entrepreneurship at Thunderbird. He is also president of H&B Associates, a marketing and management consulting firm he founded.
Michael Peters is currently marketing department chair and Professor at Boston College. He earned a Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
Dean A. Shepherd University of Colorado