Assuming no prior knowledge or experience, this textbook provides an up to date introduction to the key concepts and issues within the field of learning and development.
Blending key theories and concepts with a practical approach, the text covers the core areas that line managers and HRD practitioners need to know in order to design, implement and evaluate formal training interventions. In addition to these core areas, more contemporary issues such as learning and development within small and medium sized enterprises, and the sharing and management of knowledge are outlined.
The textbook draws on a wide range of features to ensure and encourage learning and understanding. Within each chapter key concepts are introduced at the start of each chapter; other features include "hints and tips" boxes, "practitioner perspectives", and end of chapter case studies, and chapter revision questions. There is also a supporting online resource centre providing resources for students and lecturers.
Part One: The Fundamentals of Human Resource Development
1. The Context of Human Resource Development
2. Global Perspectives on Human Resource Development
3. Developing a Human Resource Development Strategy
Part Two: The Operational role of Human Resource Development
4. The Role and Theory of Learning
5. A Systematic Approach to Human Resource Development
6. Identifying Human Resource Development Needs , David Mankin
7. Designing Learning and Development Interventions , John Roscoe & David Mankin
8. Delivering Learning and Development Interventions
9. The Evaluation of Learning and Development Interventions , David Simmonds
Part Three: The Key Themes of Human Resource Development
10. Managing or Nurturing Knowledge?
11. Integrating Learning with Working
12. Human Resource Development in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises
13. Managing the Human Resource Development Function
14. The Ethical Practitioner
15. Continuous Professional Development and Reflective Practice
David Mankin is Senior Lecturer in HRM at University of Wales Institute, Cardiff. Prior to this he was a Senior Lecturer in HRM at Oxford Brookes University. He is a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development (CIPD).